The ‘Parco della Brughiera Briantea’ owes its name to the heath, which is very common in the area. This park covers the territory between Meda and Como and is one of the largest forest areas in Lombardy. The forests are characterized by areas of oaks, chestnut and Scotch pines and areas of grassland and heath.
The clayey nature of the soil encouraged the development of quarries and manufacture of bricks for architecture. The abandoned quarries have now become artificial lakes. In Mariano Comense the Fusari brickyard is still active and open to visitors interested in discovering this ancient craft.
What to do in the park
The park is crossed by a network of paths, which you can travel by foot, by bike or riding a horse. Along these ways you find also informative boards about the geographic and botanical features of this land.
- Meda - Cascina Colombera, via Colombera
- Meda - via Varese
- Camnago - viale Brianza
You can reach the park from the highway Milano-Meda SS, exiting at Lentate sul Seveso or from the highway SS 36, exiting at Verano Brianza and following then the direction towards Mariano Comense.
Ferrovie dello stato: Milano-Como line
- Train stations in Camnago (a district of Lentate sul Seveso) or Carimate
- Train station in Camnago, viale Brianza
Ferrovie dello stato: Como-Lecco line
- Train station of Brenna-Alzate Brianza
Ferrovie Nord Milano: Milano-Erba-Asso line
- Train stations in Meda, Cabiate or Mariano Comense
- Train station in Cabiate to reach via Varese in Meda
- Train station in Meda (from which Cascina Colombera is 1,5 km far)
Autolinee ASF Como
- Cantù-Monza line (stops in Mariano Comense, Cabiate or Meda)
- Cantù-Mariano Comense line
- line Z166 Seveso-Copreno (stops in Meda, Camnago, Lentate sul Seveso or Copreno)
- line Z250 Milano-Cantù (stops in Camnago, Lentate sul Seveso or Copreno)
- line Z165 e Z160 Meda-Saronno (stops in Camnago or Lentate sul Seveso)