The Groane territory is a geological and botanical treasure house. Woods and moor-land (vast meadows characterized by the presence of ling or calluna, plant similar to heather) characterise this area. The park spreads over a vast tableland whose soil was originally formed by pebble and sand. The transformation of this material into a stratum of reddish clay made the land unsuitable for agriculture – thus the spread of moorland. The presence of clay also facilitated the development of quarries for extraction and furnaces for manufacture. The quarries and brick kilns are indicated on the website.
What to do in the park
The Groane park has a network of cycle tracks and walkways. Travelling these paths you can discover many historic villas dating back to the beginnings of 17th century, the furnaces that since 18th took advantage of this clay-rich land or the ancient armoury. Other sports activities concern fishing, archery and horse riding, thanks to the different dedicated centres nearby.
The many species that live in the park are a great treasure for birdwatching lovers. The Oasi LIPU is a special spot for birdwatching. It is also the starting point for guided tours and hosts the Alexander Langer centre, which organizes events and classes about environment education. On Saturdays, instead, the Volunteering Environmental Guards (GEV) organize free guided tours at the ancient armoury. Book them writing at email@example.com.
The farms inside the park functions also as agritourisms, restaurants and teaching farms.
- Cesano Maderno - via Don Orione, Oasi Lipu
- Solaro - via Polveriera, guided tours centre and Cà del Re point
- Lentate sul Seveso - via Oberdan, Foppa di S. Dalmazio
- Cesate - XIV strada e via dei Martiri, pine forest of Cesate
- Misinto - via S.Francesco, woods of S. Andrea
- Seveso - via Marsala, trench of Ronchetto
- Serenella - train station
- Bollate - 500 m far from the train station
- Garbagnate - train station
You find a car park at every entrance.
- Ferrovie Nord Milano: Milano-Seveso line
Train stations at Cesano Maderno or Seveso
- Ferrovie Nord Milano: Milano-Saronno-Como line
Train stations ati Bollate Nord, Serenella, Garbagnate Milanese or Cesate
Credits photo Parco delle Groane