Parco di Monza
Villa Mirabello, a significant example of architecture and residence of the 17thcentury, was built by the Durini family, who had bought the feud of Monza in 1648.
The Durini built an amazing villa, called “Mirabello”, with wide halls for parties and ceremonies. Its “U” plant, open towards the river, has a particular significance because it clearly shows the evolution from the traditional countryside palace, closed inside its ramparts, to the new concept of palace-villa open towards a garden or a park.
The Villa was restored in 1768, thanks to cardinal Durini, who started living there, and it became a “place of luxuries and a circle of literatus”. Here there are some frescos and many precious decorations, but the real artworks are the coffered wood ceilings.