Complex of San Gerardino

The complex of St. Gerard-Within-the Walls or St. Gerardino rises on the place where St. Gerard transformed his house in a hospital: founded in 1174, the hospital gave assistance to the sick, the poor and the orphan thanks to a specific internal organization and was the scene of some miracles attributed to St. Gerard. The little church is dedicated to the Saint, with Renaissance frescoes, renovated, along with the complex, in late Baroque style.
The founder’s house, overlooking the river Lambro in an area historically characterized by the presence of mills and canals, could be reached through a footbridge often swept away by the river floods and replaced in 1715 by the actual stone bridge.